Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How to Get Students to Care?

I've just survived the first day of state testing. My students were well-prepared and ready. We have read, written, discussed, quizzed, laughed, wondered, re-written, developed, homeworked, graded, peer-graded, reading strategized, etc. all year. Why, then, do some of them choose to RACE through the state test? Either I've helped them become brilliant and efficient test takers and students, or they just want to finish and move on to something else? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the former! Have other teachers experienced the same feeling of disappointment, dismay, or disbelief that I am at this moment? What can we do as educators to help children see that everything really does matter?

On the other hand, there were many wonderful, dedicated students who took the test today very seriously. I guess I've answered my own question...

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment