Wednesday, December 9, 2009

More monitoring

So far, my Wiki experience is a little frustrating…the class wikis are set up, the handouts and explanations are ready to go, the computers are reserved, the students are excited, I’ve set up their accounts and passwords, and eureka! Their access is denied!


I had an emergency plan ready (just in case) and, unfortunately, I used it! I have been in contact with the site managers, so I’m still hopeful that things will be ironed out by tomorrow, but I have a back-up plan ready again just in case.

Based on the NETS-T, I still need to work on technology operations and concepts. I love all of the ideas, but I’m still not skilled enough to know what to do when a problem occurs. I am getting better, but there’s a long way to go. My approach to the need to increase my technology skills is to give different products a try.

3 comments:

  1. Donna,

    I feel bad for you that you're going through all this, but I am happy to see that you're moving forward and not letting these things get to you. Good job on the backup plan too, sometimes we take things for granted and not have any sort of contingency, and we end up on the short end. It's happened to me before, where I plan a class around an online app that we're going to learn to use (bubbl.us or prezi.com spring to mind), and when I get to the classroom... no internet connection. By the time we get it all figured out and sorted, we've run out of time. That's the way it goes, I guess.

    Anywho, you're doing great, don't get discouraged, and these little speedbumps will only make you stronger and more adept at handling these sort of things.

    Take care!

    Cesar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,

    I am happy to hear that the emergency plan worked. I am trying to work out the small problems with my technology team, and hopefully with a little luck things will start to roll slowly.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna-

    I can relate! I started a wiki, as we first learned about them in this program, to gather questions to be asked of potential principals as we were hiring. I set up the page and organized the information to be added. To help all staff members, I wrote up directions to easily add your thoughts to the page. When the whole page was up and running, the hosting site picked up a virus which it then spread to all computers as they signed into the page. We also went with plan B...paper! It is so great when technology helps us be more effective, but such a disappointment when the plan crashes!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete